Makes 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 pounds beef chuck pot roast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Pour vegetable oil into a large oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Season the chuck roast with salt and black pepper. Brown the meat on both sides in the hot oil, and transfer to a plate.
- Stir carrots, celery, and onion into the pot, and cook and stir until vegetables start to release their juices, about 3 minutes; loosen any brown flavor bits on the bottom of the pot. Add butter, and cook until the onions are translucent about 5 minutes. Then sprinkle in rosemary, stir the vegetables, and return the roast to the pot. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the chuck roast is tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Season vegetables with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.