Makes 10 Servings
- 1 (3 pounds) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1-quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika salt and ground black pepper to taste
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and place them in a deep-sided baking dish.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken, stir to coat all sides of the chicken pieces, and cover the dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours to marinate.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk mixture and shake off excess. Discard the remaining buttermilk mixture.
- Place the flour, 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste in a large plastic zipper bag and shake well to combine. Place 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time into the plastic bag and shake well to coat the chicken pieces with seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Gently place chicken pieces into the hot oil, and fry until chicken is cooked through and golden brown, 8-10 minutes (breasts and wings) or 13 to 15 minutes (thighs and drumsticks). Drain the fried chicken on paper towels.